Tamodine wound dressing
Tamodine wound dressing to clean wounds and ulcers on fish, either koi carp in the pond or whilst fishing, suitable for hook injuries etc.
Fish with ulcers
* catch and sedate - using AquaSed
* clean ulcer with Tamodine
* if very deep then pack ulcer with Orabase (from pharmacist)
* inject antibiotics if necessary
* place the fish in clean water for recovery
* hold in salt solution 0.5-0.75% ie 5-7.5g/litre or up to 1oz/gallon until the ulcer heals
This is a povidone-iodine product similar to one used by many Veterinary Surgeons for hand disinfection prior to surgery. It has a wide spectrum of activity against bacteria, protozoa, yeasts, fungi and some viruses. It has all of the activity of free iodine but with much reduced irritant sensitising effects, and it does not stain.
Use: We suggest that you apply some Tamodine to wet cotton wool and use this to gently cleanse the surface of ulcers or wounds. Once clean, wipe off any excess, and release the animal. Do not add TAMODINE directly to water containing fish.
POVIDONE-IODINE COMPOUNDS - Referred to by Holt 1981 as "Probably the most consistently safe antiseptics/disinfectants of value are the povidone-iodine compounds..."